CARAMEL APPLE COOKIES
YIELD: 3-4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 box (10 packets) Apple Cider Instant Original Drink Mix, not sugar free
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 bag caramels
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, salt, and all 10 packets of apple cider mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract
- Mix in the baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Scoop the dough scrapping off the excess as you go up the bowl ~ I used a 1/2 tablespoon measuring cup.
- Flatten the dough slightly in your hand and place a caramel in the center - I also flattened the caramel with the back of a spoon ~ it helped make the caramel all throughout the cookie rather than in just the very middle.
- Scoop another portion of dough and then work the dough around the caramel sealing well - if you are using a normal cookie scoop you wouldn't need the second portion of dough ~ I was just using too small of a scoop :).
- Place the cookies two inches apart on the sheets.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- After baking, carefully slide the parchment with the cookies onto the counter. Let cool until they are no longer soft but still slightly warm. Twist gently to remove, and cool the rest of the way upside down on the parchment or on a cooling rack.
RECIPE INSPIRED BY: Six Sisters' Stuff