ALMOND WHOOPIE PIES WITH CRANBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water, butter & almond extract. Batter will be thick.
- Drop the batter by 1/2 tablespoons onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Use the back of a spoon to slightly flatten out the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes or until the cookies are set ~ just starting to brown.
- Cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine the dried cranberries & cranberry juice in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the berries have softened. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, shortening and vanilla. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Add the cranberries with the juice ~ I spooned out the cranberries & added them first then slowly added the juice to not overpower the flavor or make the frosting to runny.
- Beat in the powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I used all but about 1 cup of the two pounds but I like my frosting thick.
- Create your whoopie pies by spreading half of the cookies with a generous spoonful of the cranberry buttercream. Top with the remaining cookies, pressing down lightly to seal.
*I ran my cranberries & the juice through my food processor after they had cooked & cooled to chop them up some but I'm not sure that it would be necessary ~ the mixer chopped them up some too
THIS RECIPE PROUDLY SHARED AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES
Now be sure to stop by & check out the rest of the GYCO ~ Cranberry recipes!!