Bacon is good.
I will be honest though, I have never considered baking with bacon. Bacon is made to go with eggs or on a sandwich with some crisp lettuce & fresh tomatoes. But in sweets?? This just has never seemed right to me.
When Petit Jean Meats gave me the opportunity to try out some of their Special Edition Dallas Cowboys Branded Hickory Smoked Bacon, there was no way I was turning it down. Bacon is good, remember? But the catch ~ they wanted me to create a dessert recipe using the bacon.
So I give to you the cookies that have converted me to a bacon dessert believer.
PANCAKES WITH A SIDE OF BACON SUGAR COOKIES
with MAPLE FROSTING
Yield: 36 cookies
INGREDIENTS FOR COOKIES:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 & 1/2 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Alternate adding milk and dry ingredients to the butter mixture while mixing. Add vanilla. Fold in the crumbled bacon.
- Chill for 30 minutes before rolling out the dough. Roll out on a floured surface, and using a round cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut out your cookies & place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are set.
- To make the frosting, cream the softened butter with 1 cup of the powdered sugar and then slowly add in the rest. Add the maple extract & milk, and stir.
Frost cookies and enjoy! Store in an air-tight container at room temperature to keep fresh for at least 3 days.
RECIPE INSPIRED BY: Minimalist Baker
If you're interested in trying out the Petit Jean Special Edition Dallas Cowboys Branded Hickory Smoked Bacon, you can find it in select Wal-Mart, Market Street & United Stores in & around the Dallas area, as well as Affiliated stores in Amarillo & Fresh Store in Tyler.
You can also find it online at Kountry Specialities
Be sure to check out all that Petit Jean Meats has to offer:
I received free product for recipe development & review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own.